Do you know that the Moon orbits the Earth and rotates on its axis?
This video may explain you lots of characteristics of the MOON and ECLIPSES.
The moon has four LUNAR PHASES, they depend on the Moon's position in relation to both the Earth and the Sun.
- NEW MOON: no part of the moon is visible.
- FIRST QUARTER: The illuminated half is increasing.
- FULL MOON: The side of the moon facing the Earth is being lit by the Sun.
- LAST QUARTER: The illuminated half is decreasing.
Sometimes there is a great phenomenon, when the MOON, the SUN and the EARTH ALING. This is which we called ECLIPSE.
We can have two kinds of eclipse:
- LUNAR ECLIPSE: The Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon and blocks the Sun's light.
- SOLAR ECLIPSE: The Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, block the Sun's light and project a shadow on the Earth. If they are in a perfect line it is a TOTAL ECLIPSE.
To review the MOON we are going to watch this animation:
In the following link you can watch a short video about a Solar Eclipse.
LET'S CHECK ALL YOUR LEARNING WITH THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITY: