This short video will explain to you how it was started a new period in the history of Spain:
You could look at the map how the 18th Century was in Spain:
THE SPANISH WAR OF SUCCESSION
- Charles II, died in 1700, without descendants.
- Two Royal families claimed for the Spanish Throne: The French Bourbons and The Austrian Habsburgs.
As you can see in the map most of the European countries were involved in this long war, The Spanish War of Succession it lasted from the 1701 to the 1714.When it ended Philip V, the French claimant, became the King of Spain. The Bourbon dinasty started and replaced the Habsburgs.
THE BOURBON DINASTY
- Philip V established the absolute monarchy. In which the monarch has all the power of the country.
- Other Bourbon Kings were: Charles III and Charles IV. They introduce many reforms.
- Secretaries of states were appointed to help the king with different issues such the tax collection, the administration of American territories.
- To improve the economy they created small royal factories.
SCIENCE AND CULTURE IN THE 18TH CENTURY:
Science and Culture were very prominent during the 18th Century:
- Academies were founded, such the Royal Academy of Language.
- Daily newspapers appeared.
- Many museums and botanical gardens were created.
LET'S CHECK ALL WHAT YOU HAVE JUST LEARNT ABOUT BOURBONS WITH THIS ACTIVITY.
ENJOY & LEARN